Request a Free Quote
Jaguar tracks tour
Explore deep into the ecuadorian jungle
Our Jaguar Tracks tour is designed especially for adventurous travelers who want to explore deep into the Ecuadorian primary jungle, be in contact with nature, and feel totally disconnected from modern life. One of the highlights of this trip is the rare chance to camp with the famous Huaorani tribe, and share unique experiences with them.
- Spot diverse wildlife often including: giant otters, pink dolphins, caiman alligators, snakes, monkeys, and many bird species
- Immerse yourself in the Huaorani tribe community, learning about their fascinating way of life & traditions, and meeting the local shaman healer
- Hike into untouched primary rainforest forest in the Yasuni National Park
- Learn how the Huaorani use blow guns to hunt
- Fish for piranha and search for anaconda snakes in the lagoon
- Jaguars do prowl this area of forest, so with extreme luck you make see one, if not hopefully you can find some tracks in the mud
- Discover medicinal jungle plants and their uses
- Adventure camping or sleeping in hammocks each night
Jaguar tracks Photos
Jaguar tracks tour
Prices per person 2019
- 5 days
- $2595 Standard
- DAY 1Road transportation to Shell, and flight to the Huaorani territory to make camp.
- DAY 2Our expedition begins with a visit to the animal clay lick, and Piranha fishing.
- DAY 3Anaconda Lagoon, Bameno – Paddle a small boat to try to find anaconda snakes. In the afternoon visit Kempery, the legendary shaman and leader of the Huaorani.
- DAY 4Hike though the virgin jungle with Huaorani warriors, learning about their survival skills, spotting wildlife, and following jaguar tracks.
- DAY 5After breakfast we fly back to Shell, then transfer by car back to Quito.
Click below for a more detailed itinerary description, complete with meal and guide inclusions.
About this itinerary
This is a very active and adventurous trip, with basic accommodation in tents or hammocks – this is part of the charm of this trip. Campsites may have no toilets and no electricity. River water levels and weather conditions may lead to variations in the itinerary. When you enter Yasuni National Park you may be asked to show proof of vaccinations (Yellow fever, Hepatitis B and Tetanus) as well as Malarial medications. A minimum of 4 people are required to run this tour, with minimum age 12.
ABOUT THE HUAORANI TRIBE
The Huaorani are an indigenous group native to a small section of the Ecuador’s Amazonian rainforest. They number only about 3000 individuals but speak a language unrelated to any other on the planet. The Huaorani are extraordinarily spiritual, and make no distinction between the physical and spiritual.
They also used to be one of the fiercest tribes in recorded history. They were Ecuador’s last indigenous tribe to receive contact from the outside world (occurring in 1956), and up to five of their smaller communities still defy all outside contact and continue to live in inaccessible deep jungle as they have for hundreds of years. Many other Huaorani communities have been considerably affected by oil companies and missionaries, but this adventure expedition helps to promote cultural identity and ecotourism as a sustainable alternative for all the small villages we visit.
- Private and comfortable land transportation
- Motorized canoe
- Dugout canoe
- Airfare: Shell / Bohanamo round trip in light aircraft
- Accommodation: Based on double occupancy:
- 4 nights camping in Yasuni National Park
- Meals as listed in itinerary
- Canoeing on the Cononaco River
- Visiting the Yasuni National Park, Animals clay lick (Saladero) and the native Huaorani communities
- Piranha fishing
- Night hikes
- Dry bags
- Life jackets
- Rubber boots
- Eureka tents
- Air mattresses
- Bathroom tent
- Portable toilet
- Social kitchen
- Trip Leader: Certified EPL expert English-speaking Adventure Trip Leader and local guide
- My Own Room & Tent supplement ($310 extra)
- International flights
- Airport transfers to/from Quito airport
- Travel insurance (mandatory)
- Required immunizations (mandatory)
- Personal expenses & Tips
- This tour is available to start on any day throughout the year, with a minimum of 4 passengers.