Indigenous Markets & Culture
Otavalo is one of the largest, most colourful and important markets in the whole of Latin America – as well as bargaining for an array of touristic handcrafts checkout the hustle and bustle of the local animal market where livestock and llamas are traded (Saturdays only).
A visit to the small surrounding indigenous communities also offers a fascinating insight into what is a totally different way of life and culture.
A great combination of bargain hunting, colourful handcrafts, local indigenous culture and pretty surrounding countryside.
||Otavalo Market - our driver will pick you up at your Quito hotel in the morning to transfer you north to Otavalo (approx 2 hours journey). You have a full day to explore the Otavalo market perusing for bargains – the handicraft market is open every day of the week, but the animal market is only open on Saturdays. Overnight and freetime to relax at Otavalo.
||Indigenous communities – a fascinating day visiting some of the
small indian villages surrounding Otavalo. During
the trip you can typically see locals making handicrafts,
playing Andean musical instruments, and weaving
traditional shawls. You will also visit the Peguche
Waterfall - a sacred site where the locals take
their energizing ritual baths during the festival
of the sun god and the lake of Cuicocha. Overnight
||Lakes & return to
Quito – A full morning to visit
the local lakes of Mojanda and Fuya Fuya - areas
of unique natural beauty and tranquility. For the active you can trek up to the peak of Fuya Fuya for fabulous views of the lakes below and surrounding countryside. If you do not fancy the trek then gentler walking is also possible with nice lake views. Return
to Quito in the afternoon.
Past Clients Feedback
"The highlight for us was the community visit where the local people were so friendly and kind. The activities were very varied and kept us interested and busy throughout." (Mark Plummer, UK)
AVAILABILITY: This tour is available throughout the year.
START DATES: flexible to start on any day of the week that you prefer to travel.
- Accommodation in double rooms. Triple rooms are also available should a group of odd-numbered passengers wish to avoid paying a single supplement.
- Transfers with local driver (with pickup / dropoff at Quito city hotel)
- Meals as listed in itinerary
- Activities as listed in itinerary
- English-speaking guide for all activities
- International flights
- Personal expenses
- Meals not listed as part of itinerary
- Local entry fees
- Single supplement (applies for a single room for somebody travelling within a group). If you are travelling alone then please ask our staff for a solo traveller price quote.
- Pickup / dropoff at airport or in Quito valley area (this service costs extra)