Maquipucuna CloudforestNATURE AT ITS BEST
|What is this?|
|What is this?|
Maquipucuna Reserve & Ecolodge offers the unique opportunity to explore the closest and most pristine rainforest to Quito, located less than 2 hours away. For nature enthusiasts, a trip to Maquipucuna is the perfect experience and a wonderful complement to a Galapagos visit.
The Maquipucuna Cloud Forest is the only forest in the Andes where one can seasonally see, at a walking distance from the lodge, Spectacled bears in the wild, feeding on small avocado trees. Maquipucuna's close to 400 species of birds and an easily accessible Cock-of-the-rock lek, are also sure to fascinate bird lovers. Enjoy your meals in our open air restaurant in the company of a crazy flock of hummingbirds. Hike our 32 km of well-manicured trails, walking through pre-Inca paths to the land of salt and then relax in our hammocks at the sound of the river. Take a refreshing swim in our rivers and waterfalls, stroll through our orchid path and observe the butterfly garden. If you find yourself wanting even more, visit nearby community conservation projects initiated by the Maquipucuna Foundation. Our local naturalist bilingual guides' abilities to spot and name wildlife and to share the secrets of the forest are part of what makes visiting us an exceptional and unforgettable experience. Come find out for yourself!
for a free quote
Call us on these toll-free numbers:USA & Canada: 1-8 00-269-0216 • UK: 0-800-051-7125
The Maquipucuna Ecolodge is an award winning open-air lodge beautifully crafted in native bamboo that sits by the Umachaca River. Here you will experience an absolutely beautiful and relaxing back-to-nature experience. We offer 5 different types of accommodation, all of which have running spring water and hot showers. These options are: deluxe suites in the Cachillacta House, standard rooms in the Tulipe House and the Ayllu House, and dormitory style rooms in the Umachaca House and the Scientific House.
At the lodge we enjoy warm late spring-like weather year round. Relax in the warm breeze and be swept away by the exuberant scenery. However, be sure to bring a sweater for some cooler evenings.
The Maquipucuna Ecolodge is located within the 14,000 acre Maquipucuna Reserve. It is owned and managed by the non-profit nature conservation organization, Fundación Maquipucuna. Our ecotourism guides are bilingual area locals who are well trained in the flora and fauna of the reserve. They include ex-loggers and ex-hunters - whose previous occupations have enabled them to be very knowledgeable of the land. Being converts to conservation also gives them a special passion about their work.
Delicious and freshly made home cooked meals are served daily, including freshly brewed specialty Arabica coffee produced right here in Maquipucuna. Maquipucuna's cooks are known for their ability to prepare tasty meals for different types of food preferences and can easily cater to any food restrictions.
Each full day at the lodge includes a morning and an afternoon activity which may include:
- Guided hikes to learn about local medicinal and other useful plants
- Walking through pre-Inca trails
- Visiting salt springs used by the Yumbo pre-Inca peoples
- Spectacled bear sighting (during season)
- Insect, mammal and frog sightings during night hikes • Self-guided trails to explore by yourself
- Swimming in pristine rivers and waterfalls
- Visiting nearby community projects* (please make advanced reservations)
- Chocolate massages* (please make advanced reservations, extra payment required)
The lodge offers access to 32 kilometers (20 mi) of trails. The trails vary in their range of difficulty and a guide is recommended for some. Although not all trails need a guide for navigation, the local guides offer a wealth of information about the reserve and the wildlife that will enhance your experience on any and all of the trails. Ask your guide or the Maquipucuna staff for a trail map so you can explore by yourselves.Your guide will also help you to select the most appropriate trails based on your fitness level and specific wildlife interests. The trails:
- WaterfallTrail : 200 meters. 10 minutes one way.
- The Spectacled Bear : Variable Distance from 1 1/2 hours to 2-3 days camping and hiking up hill. One way.
- Humedal Trail : 3 1/2 km, 3 1/2 hour loop trail.
- Self Guided Trail : 1km. 45 minute loop.
- Tranquil Trail : 6 km. 4-5 hour hike.
- River Trail : 3 km. 2 1/2 hour loop.
- Palmitos Trail : 4.5 km. 4 hourloop.
- Muleteer’s Trail to a larger waterfall: 5.5 km. 4-5 hours.
AVAILABILITY: This tour is available throughout the year.
START DATES: flexible to start on any day of the week that you prefer to travel.
|2017 PRICES PER PERSON|
|Accommodation||Deluxe Cachillacta House||Classic Tulipe House||Ayllu House||Essential Umachaca House|
|2-day Package||$231-239||$212-219||$225||$179||Request this Tour|
|3-day Package||$364-380||$326-340||$352||$260||Request this Tour|
|4-day Package||$465-488||$398-428||$435||$320||Request this Tour|
|5-day Package||$565-596||$479-516||$529||$389||Request this Tour|
Prices are based on 2 people sharing. Discounts may be available for larger groups sharing a room. Single supplement applies for solo travellers.
Cachillacta House: is disconnected from the main lodge (1 minute walk from main lodge) and overlooks the crystilline Alambi river. These spacious suites features private bathroom and furniture for relaxing.
Ayllu House: Ideal for families or small groups of friends to stay all together under the same roof. Located just 5 minutes from the main lodge this cabin can comfortably sleep up to 6 guests and offers private bathrooms and a living room.
Tulipe House: Classic accommodation offering suites with double beds, private bathrooms and amazing views of the forest.
Umachacha House: Budget accommodation with shared bathroom and shower facilities in the main lodge.
- Accommodation in the house of your choice
- 3 meals per day, starting with lunch on day 1
- Entrance fee to the protected area
- Shared transportation Quito-Lodge-Quito
- Guided hikes with shared local English speaking guide
- Unlimited hydration: filtered spring water available all day, lemonade, coffee and herbal teas during meals and before bird watching
- Rubber boots to use during your stay
- Private guides (can be booked in advance at additional cost)
- Private transportation or pick up places from places other than Quito hotel's (can be booked in advance at additional cost)
- Extras at the lodge: such as drinks, snacks, souvenirs and other personal expenses
- Activities not included in the itinerary
- Single supplement charge for solo travelers
Return shared transport is included in the package with pickup to and from your Quito hotel.
Past Clients Feedback
"It was absolutely fantastic. we were just two people with guide and loved it." (Yves Mettler)